The world of search engine optimization (SEO) is constantly evolving, with new trends and techniques emerging all the time. To stay ahead of the game, it is important for website owners and SEO professionals to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices. In this article, we will discuss the top 21 SEO trends to consider in 2023. From personalization and helpful user-generated content, to e-commerce optimization and AI-powered tools, these trends will help you optimize your website and improve your ranking on Google. Whether you are new to SEO or an experienced professional, these SEO trends are worth keeping on your radar as you plan your SEO strategy for the coming year.
- Personalization and first-party user data - using user data to personalize and improve the user experience with information website owners directly collect. Marketers of the future should have data from their own business. They need to have a strong way to track information. Here are 5 tips to help get ready for the future. More here from Google on building a successful measurement plan.
- User-generated content and 3rd-part expert reviews - incorporating user-generated content and reviews into the website for social proof is important, and Google's latest Helpful Content Update highlights this as a priority.
- E-commerce and shopping SEO - optimizing e-commerce websites for search engines, including structured data (Schema) for products. This is especially a game-changes as Google recently enabled the Shopping tab in Search Console so you may more readily show your products in Search.
- Artificial intelligence-powered tools and platforms - using AI-powered tools and platforms to improve SEO performance and content quality. AI tools are equipping top SEO experts and website owners to achieve unparalleled levels of productivity, enabled by the latest breakthroughs in AI. Think GPT-3 by OpenAI, or ChatGPT, which interacts in a conversational way that optimizes language models for dialogue.
- Voice search optimization - optimizing for voice search queries and natural language processing.
- Local SEO - improving visibility and ranking in local search results.
- Mobile-first indexing - prioritizing the mobile version of a website for ranking and indexing.
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning - using AI and machine learning to improve SEO performance.
- User experience and user intent - focusing on user experience and user intent to improve ranking and engagement.
- Structured data and schema markup - using structured data and schema markup to provide additional information to search engines.
- Video content and video SEO - using video content and optimizing for video search.
- Content marketing and long-form content - creating and promoting high-quality, in-depth content.
- Influencer marketing - partnering with influencers to promote content and improve visibility.
- Featured snippets and position zero - ranking for featured snippets and position zero to increase visibility and traffic.
- Accelerated mobile pages (AMP) - using AMP to improve the loading speed and performance of mobile pages.
- Brand-building and reputation management - building and maintaining a positive brand reputation.
- Social media marketing and integration - using social media to promote content and improve visibility.
- Content clusters and topic modeling - organizing content into clusters and using topic modeling to improve ranking.
- Visual search and image optimization - optimizing for visual search and improving the ranking of images, including image sitemapping. Google Lens is a big enabler of this trend, which continues after QR codes made a huge comeback at heels of the pandemic.
- Conversational search and natural language processing - optimizing for conversational search queries and natural language processing.
- Knowledge panels and entity recognition - optimizing for knowledge panels and entity recognition by search engines. Named-Entity Recognition (NER) looks for words or phrases in search queries and classifies them into categories. This includes things like names of people, products, styles, colors, quantities, and more.
In conclusion, these 21 SEO trends are worth considering in 2023 to stay ahead of the competition and improve your website's ranking on search engines. From personalization and user-generated content, to e-commerce optimization and AI-powered tools, there are many strategies to choose from.
Start with an SEO analysis using our free SEO audit tool
Don't know where to start? Consult the experts
Key Medium can help with a free website consultation and affordable expert SEO services.
Connect with us today to learn more and take your website to the next level.