Let’s face it. Every business is presented with unique challenges. And that is never more so than when dealing with SEO (Search Engine Optimization). If you have an organization or company that markets directly to other companies then when it comes to SEO, there are a few mistakes that you need to be sure not to make.
1. Use the right vocabulary: While there is a lot of behind-the-scenes with SEO, it’s good not to lose sight of common sense. Drop the fancy lingo and think like as the person searching for your product or service. Use search terms that anyone might be typing into their browser.
2. Stop the PPC: One big mistake businesses make is believing that they need to continue to pay for advertising while incorporating SEO. Do you know that 70% of the links clicked on are not paid? Try to stay focused on one thing and don’t spread yourself too thin.
3. Don’t try to be #1: While it’s fantastic to be the top search result, don’t be too concerned about making it there. The top 3 search results get 61% of the clicks. So in the case of SEO, being second or third is every bit as great as being first from a search visibility perspective, especially considering that B2B decision makers make on average 12 searches, according to Google data points.
4. Keep is basic: Google has recently made some adjustments and made things simple. Don’t try and include a ton of keywords. Stick to one good keyword and one related keyword.
5. No broken links: There’s nothing someone hates more than clicking on a broken link. Broken links will earn you a bad rap, fast. Make sure that all your links are working.
6. Avoid duplicate content: Don’t try to increase sales by having the same pages and product linked all over the place. People will easily be annoyed by the repetitiveness. Google is only going to index one of the pages anyway, so it’s going to be gaining you nothing.
7. Use those analytics: Using some form of analytics is a must. It’s how you are to keep track of how you are doing, if your page views are going up or down, where traffic is coming from, and what pages are being viewed the most.
8. Know your goal: Yes, it's to increase sales, but how are you going to get there? With more service or product feature page, high domain authority backlinks and earned media, or creating new content? It’s one thing to rely on your Google results, but there are other aspects, that involve your website, also to consider.
9. Keep it real. Don’t ever, ever copy a competitor. While your customers may not necessarily notice, Google will spot duplicate content, and you may even be penalized for it. Stay unique.
10. Offload: Don’t try to do it all. If you don’t know what you are doing, and aren’t ready to put some hard work into your SEO, then maybe it’s best to consider outsourcing. There are many reliable SEO companies out there prepared to help you, and you just need to find the right one for you and your business.
SEO is an organic, and inexpensive way to increase sales, build pageviews and convert leads into sales. Done correctly, you can see wonderful results for your company. And the great news is that whether you do it yourself, or you hire a company to do it for you, you can use all the above tips to help you avoid common mistakes and get the results you are looking for!
Ali Jaffar has been building dazzling websites and creating amazing online experiences for over a decade. His mastery of the latest innovations in web development results in world-class website experiences set apart by show-stopping style and seamless functionality. A Google Mobile Sites and Google Analytics qualified individual and award-winning web development guru, Ali lends his talents to build and bolster digital experiences for a wide array of clients. When Ali’s not helping his clients grow, you can find him doing yoga, walking his dog, and enjoying a nice bike ride around Philly.